Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dear Mama-to-Be

Dear Mama-to-Be,

I know you are scared.  According to statistics one of the top-three reasons women abort their babies is because they are not financially prepared.  Having a baby is expensive, I hear you.

A little over 2 years ago, I discovered I was pregnant.  I was happy and scared.  You see, I have a birth defect which means I didn't qualify for health insurance.  Having a baby without health insurance? It's not what is recommended.

Even scarier was when we were denied medicaid insurance - the insurance the state provides for mamas-to-be who don't have insurance.  We were denied because though we were definitely not rich, we did make more than their cut-off.

The insurance issue notwithstanding, my husband at that time didn't have a full-time job.  He subbed for the public schools which is on an as-need basis.  I worked full-time, but for a private school that paid little and had no benefits.  So we were definitely not what one would consider financially prepared - there was no emergency fund at our bank.

So, I know how scary it is to think of the bills.  The average delivery in America costs between $18,000 and $30,000.  Mine hospital bill alone was almost $16,000 and that doesn't include the OB/GYN's bills, the anesthesiologist's bill, etc..I could go on and on.  My pregnancy and delivery was close to $26,000.  That's more than we made the year our son was born.  It is scary to open the mailbox and see bill after bill. It is embarrassing to try to hash out payment plans with doctors.  But you know what? The Lord provides.

As of today, almost 20 months after my son was born, we owe only about $1,300.  Yes, you read that correctly.  No, my husband didn't win the lottery.  The Lord provided, that's what happened.  He provided through generous gifts from his people.  He provided through charity from the hospital.  He provided through the establishment of payment plans.  He provided through monthly payments to doctors.  He provided.

I am confident he can provide for you, too.  I don't know what that will look like.  It may mirror how he provided for us.  It may be through adoption.  It may be long years of working hard to pay monthly payments.  I don't know how he will choose to provide for you, but I do know that if you will trust Him and let your child live, he will provide.

So that's my story.  A story of how the Lord provided in a desperate situation.  Let him provide for you.

Choose Life,
Melissa



No comments:

Post a Comment