Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Glamorous Life of a Rural Pastor's Wife

A few weekends ago, I went to this amazing women's conference.  I had a great time of refreshing and fellowship with other like-minded women.  Of course, the devil was present as well trying to discourage me.  Several of the speakers were the wife of a pastor, typically a prominent pastor,  I found myself sinfully doing some comparison between myself and them.  My life as a pastor's wife and stay-at-home mama is really boring compared to the life they lead.

Here are some things on schedule for me this week:


I ordered the winter 2014-2015 curriculum from LifeWay for our church this week. James is technically the Sunday School director, but he's not a computer person and would be overwhelmed, so I do it.


The lady who has been cleaning our church for the last who knows how many years is now in a nursing home due to a fall.  Honestly, everyone was pretty confident she was going to die so we're praising the Lord that she's alive.  Of course, she's in no physical shape to continue cleaning the church.  So guess who got a job? Me!


Sometime Saturday I will do Sunday's bulletin.  I have to wait for James to finish his sermon to get the title, reference, and Scripture reading.  It typically only takes minutes, assuming the copier cooperates!  While there, I go ahead and turn on the air or heat for the church so it's comfortable for everyone Sunday morning.



Sunday morning, I'll teach my kids in Sunday School (preteen class) and Sunday evening I'll lead the youth in their Share Jesus Without Fear study.  That along with parenting Hudson, cleaning and cook at home, and whatnot pretty much sums up my life.  I always tempted to be slightly discouraged.



Thankfully, the Lord is never content to leave me in a place of discouragement.  At the conference he was quick to squash any lingering feelings of comparison by reminding me that this is what he's called me to right now.  And I'm called to be faithful and obedient to this calling; not Nancy Leigh DeMoss' or Laura Chandler's calling, but my calling here in rural Missouri at Providence Baptist Church and at home.  I'm so tempted to be like Peter and question Jesus' plan for my life in light of his plans for others.  But Jesus reminds me, as he did so with Peter, "What about him?....What is it to you?"  Frankly it's none of my business.

These past few weeks, he's been extra sweet to let me see moments of encouragement.

Today, I took Hudson with me while I cleaned the church.  He of course, was no help, but he was so happy to be there and kept saying, "I love our church, Mama" or "This is Norman's seat!"  Now, I know he's two.  He loved the dead mouse that was in our garage last week and wanted to keep it.  We did not, by the way.  But it encouraged my heart to know that God can use a few simple hours of vacuuming and dusting to give my boy a heart for service and love for the church.

Because I am a stay-at-home mama I have time.  Time to go to a GA Retreat, time to really prepare for teaching on Sunday, time to serve our association in different roles, time to cook healthy meals for our family, etc...  It truly is a blessing.  One that I should be willing to share, even in seemingly mundane tasks.

In 12 days, I'll be leading a Bible Study for our association's women's ministry on contentment.  Ironic, isn't it.  I graduated seminary single and never took any of the seminary wives classes so I wasn't sure what to expect as a pastor's wife.  But I should have known what to expect when it comes to being obedient and faithful to where God has placed me.

Pray for me, pray for your pastor's wife.  Our lives may not be glamorous, but by being obedient and faithful, they can be glorifying to Him who has called us.



A man's chief end is to glorify God (1 Cor. 10:31) and to enjoy him forever (Ps. 73:25-26). 
What rule has God given to direct us how we may glorify him?
The Word of God which is contained in the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments. (Eph. 2:20)
- A Puritan Catechism



1 comment: